Facebook and Instagram API’s:
Over the past 3-6 months, Facebook and Instagram have rapidly evolved their backend APIs and user interfaces significantly impacting how content is served to users on both networks. Engagement, personal connections, search history and other elements have significant impact on which content the networks serve to which users.
This is primarily a result of the continued growth of each network and new users creating accounts on each. Facebook monthly active users total 1.59 billion compared to Instagram at 400 million, which is 75% more monthly users on Facebook than Instagram. This ultimately makes Facebook a more saturated social media network.
Given these substantial numbers, Facebook and Instagram have adapted their APIs to better serve content to their users in order to maintain relevance and increase the benefit of maintaining an active presence on these networks. The changes driven by consumer use and preferences have significantly impacted the commercial use of business profiles on both networks.
Previously, organic outreach, giveaway campaigns and boosted posts were the optimum methods to increasing overall content impressions and page likes, increasing the likelihood of content being seen and served to followers. As a result, both networks have expanded their paid media options to better align with messaging goals business pages want to disseminate to consumers making paying to play the now, optimum method to increasing page likes and overall impressions.
To achieve substantial increases in each, paid media options ensure business content is being served to users equally with their friends’ content, which Facebook and Instagram know their users’ deem more valuable. Recently, media options on both networks have diversified to ensure businesses put dollars behind ads aimed at generating intended results such as general awareness or impressions, downloads, in-store visits, page likes and more.
Facebook Ad Objectives:
Instagram Ad Objectives:
Instagram Boosted Post Process:
|1. Click Promote||2. Select Objective||3. Select Action||4. Create Custom Audience|
Media types based on messaging goals and total spend across networks based on user saturation must be considered when implementing paid efforts. Below are a few key takeaways from our diverse experience managing clients’ social media efforts that you should consider when running your next Facebook or Instagram ad:
- Create a Custom Audience. We recommend at least one audience based on shopper demographics, location and interests. You could create individual audiences for different target audiences such as millennial or non-millennials if multiple messages are disseminated for optimum targeting.
- Put more money behind a fewer amount of days for the best results. This will result in a higher Reach (unique viewers) compared to Impressions, which account for the same viewer seeing the ad more than once.
- Double the Facebook budget compared to Instagram to garner complementary results across the networks. Instagram is a less competitive marketplace so you get more impressions for less spend.
- Customize placement based on the ultimate goal of the ad.
- Facebook ads will be served to users at a higher frequency than Instagram ads so gear messages toward enticing action such as event sign up, etc. Ads should be placed on Facebook to increase viewer repetition and the likelihood of viewers taking action.
- Instagram ads will reach more unique viewers as ads are served at a lower frequency, usually one time compared to Facebook which ranges between 2-3 times. Instagram ads are great for general awareness such as an event, grand opening announcement, etc. as it will reach more unique viewers.
- Differ the media type selected on both networks based on the message goal. Both networks have several opportunities within Ads Manager to create an ad based on a specific goal such as page likes, app download, etc.
- Newsfeed Ads have a lower CPM and will garner more reach and impressions than Boosted Posts on both Facebook and Instagram. Consider reallocating efforts to Newsfeed Ads than Boosted Posts moving forward for a greater ROI.